Pages

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The sun hasn't set on my AT hike...

I left the trail last Wednesday, April 1, after visiting the Emergency Room in Marion, VA. I could no longer tolerate the pain in my shin, so I needed a Doctor's recommendation, which was to rest my shin splints for at least two weeks. I wasn't about to rest in Marion in a rundown hotel for two weeks, so I made my way home to Atlanta. I do plan to return to the trail, but I don't know when that will be. I'll have to get the OK from my doctor before I go. Most likely, I'll return to the AT a week after Easter. I also redesigned my Web site after exceeding the alloted bandwidth, which means too much data was uploaded, including pics and videos. I hope the new layout is more streamlined. I'll add some links to my charity page, satellite beacon, and pictures. New pictures have been uploaded to my slideshow at the bottom of the page, so scroll all the way down. I hope I didn't let anyone down by leaving the trail, but I couldn't continue on in my physical condition. I needed rest and I hope to return to my journey. If I don't make my way back to the trail, then my 500-plus miles was a truly epic experience and I appreciate everyone's support. Sincerley, Mike,"Steamboat"

1 comment:

Julie said...

Mike,
I've enjoyed your blog. The new format looks great. I first hit on Harvey's site, then yours as you started your journeys 2 weeks before my son and his companions. Early in my son's trip, he wound up on his own. Slower pace, and knee problems exacerbated by trying to match their pace. After 2 weeks of rest, he returned and within a day was on his own again. He is now hiking "his hike, his way at his pace" and may pull off again when he reaches Damascus. It is about the journey and not just the destination. If you are able to return, I have offered to Harvey and now to you, a hot meal, shower, town trip etc as you get into northern VA. We are 4 miles from the trail at Snicker's Gap (993 mile).
Happy Trails!
Julie
Awesome pictures...