Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Days 37 to 41, and back to the Trail

After spending the past two weeks resting my shin splint, which took me off the trail two weeks ago today, I've made plans to return to the Trail near Marion, Va., at Hurricane Campground, on Sunday.
The decision to return was more difficult than anticipated. I've enjoyed almost everything the past two weeks that could tempt me from returning, including two Braves games, three movies, time with Brinkley, a night at the lake house, many dinners out, regular e-mail access, TV, family and friends, a warm bed, showers, and the absence of 3,000-foot vertical climbs. So why should I endure more physical punishment on the trail and deny myself of these comforts? This has been a question I've been wrestling with I boarded an airplane in Johnson City, Tenn. on April 2. The answer is the same as when I left for the trail on Feb. 20, which I forgot in the discomfort of my legs. I want to experience the adventure again.
I've previously blogged about the amazing clarity on the trail that lifts the fog of daily life. Well, there's clarity when not wincing at every step. I miss that clarity of priorities, whether it be on a long term or short term basis. I miss feeling a sense of movement, rather than the stagnant laziness of waiting for my PhD program to begin in August. I hate the feeling that my trail friends are seeing amazing vistas and making more lifelong memories as I was on the couch icing my leg, watching Pineapple Express. There is little chance I'll catch them, which is a good thing, because keeping up with the young lads led to my overuse injuries, but the trail is flush with more hikers. I may miss the relative solitude afforded by my early start, but I'll be returning to a woods set to bloom with Springs in warmer temps. As the woods come alive, I too hope to hit my stride again and make my way north. The section ahead, through Virginia to Pennsylvania, is reportedly the easiest of the AT, so I can take my time to get my legs back under me. I've also gained about six pounds since my return, which is due to malaise induced by resting, eating, and alcohol.
Further, gaining acceptance to the American Studies PhD program at Saint Louis University did not provide the mental outlook I had anticipated. I thought acceptance would calm me and help me focus on the trail since the worry about future plans was settled. What actually happened was that I focused on my life in St. Louis instead, and I have become a bit anxious to get my life started there. I could move to StL, find an apartment and job until school starts. Why continue this silly hiking in the woods when real life decision are present? But, I do have time until these life situations come to fruition, and in the words of my father, "What else are you going to do?" Due to the two weeks off, I am now quite a way behind schedule-10 days behind schedule-so my window to get back on the trail to complete this journey before school is closing, but it hasn't closed yet. I don't want to hike if it means not finishing this summer. It's too difficult of an endevour to continuously change plans. Either I do it, or I don't.
Also, I've redesigned my blog to make the look a bit cleaner. There is no longer a menu bar to link to my GPS location, pictures, charity site, etc. The links are now listed at the top of the sidebar. Further, make sure you scroll to the bottom of the page to see my slideshow.
Take care and thanks for all the support. Continue to check my blog to see where I'm at. I'll need a few words of encouragement to continue and finish, so those are welcomed as well. Finally, I've included the last entries into my journal prior to the interruption. ~Steamboat

Day 37, March 28, Saturday

Start: Damascus, VA
End: Damascus, VA
Mileage: Zero Day, 463 miles from Springer Mtn.

~No Journaling

Day 38, March 29, Sunday

Start: Damascus, VA
End: Damascus, VA
Mileage: Zero Day, 463 miles from Springer Mtn.

~No Journaling


Day 39, March 30, Monday

Start: Damascus, VA
End: Lost Mountain Shelter
Mileage: 15.8 miles, 478.8 miles from Springer Mtn.

I didn't journal on my two ero days in Damascus, Va. Why? I can't say. I was not up late either night, nor was I particularly occupied. I think I wanted to get my mind off the trail for the weekend. This effort was unsuccessful as I spent a good amount of time in Damascus blogging, visiting the outfitter, resupplying and talking of the trail with fellow hikers. The only way to really leave the trail is to go home, which I'm not yet prepared to do despite numerous fantasies.
Harvey, Whiz Kid, the Brits and Spirit Fingers moved on yesterday without me. I needed more rest for my shin. I hope I received enough. I hope to catch Harley next week as he waits for his dad in Pearisburg, VA. I may never see the rest of the guys again, but Wes is a day behind me. If this was the group's last hurrah, then it was a good one. We had three hearty meals together with a lot of good converstaion.
The group, which Whiz Kid correctly labled officially a clique, was replaced at the hostel last night with an odd assortment of military vets, an 18-year-old SOBO, two friends from the Univ. of Colorado, and a guy who managed 50 miles in one day to get into Damascus.
I share the shelter tonight with the two CU guys and Zach, a fellow Sandy Springs native who returned from Iraq on Feb. 15 and hit the trail March 1.
I tried to take the hike today at an easy pace. I won't know until tomorrow how successful I was when I test my shin. It is still swollen, but the hiking today was much more comfortable than last week.
The best part of the day, except for my 35-minute trail-side nap, was sharing a mile or so of the trail with the Virginia Creeper Trail. It was very nicely graded for bicycles and was very even. If only the whole trail was so well maintained. There was even a nice footbridge that looked like an old railroad tressle. I aim for 17 miles or so tomorrow to rest the leg. I'm at least three nights from Atkins, VA, so I can't overdo it.

Day 40, March 31, Tuesday

Start: Lost Mountain Shelter
End: Old Orchard Shelter
Mileage: 23.2 miles, 502 miles from Springer

I expreienced a grab bag of emotions today on the trai. I did not get out of the gate very fast today. My pace was sluggish and my mind wasn't set for hiking.
Frankly, I entertained notions of quitting this morning. I had it planned out. I would hike to Atkins, Va by Thursday, then zero, and have Kat pick me up Saturday. I'll be home by Sunday, just in time for next week's opening day in baseball. I also miss Jen terribly. I was half way up Whitetop Mountain, paused i my tracks, wanting to be home, but what could I do? I have to at least walk to Atlkins or hitch a ride at the next road crossing, so I continued on, and as I did, my spirits rose infinately.
Although cloudy and windy, with a late shower, the second half the day was beautiful as I walked up Mt. Rogers, Va's highest peak, to the Grayson Highlands. The Highlands are a grassy, rock strewn area of mountaintops that are populated by ferrel ponies. The ponies eat foliage to keep the mountain tops bald, which has been their appearance for hundreds of years. I saw maybe 20 of them today, some of which were just a few feet away, grazing on the trail. This pleased me a lot and really made me feel better about the hike. I'm now at 500 miles and I saw some ferrel ponies! What other kick ass adventures lay ahead?
My hiking friends remain one day ahead of me. I'm on their pace, so I'm not making up ground, but I'm not falling behind. Both Harvey and Whiz Kid left me message in trail journals today. I'm with Zach and the Colorad guys tonight. they are a good sort as well.

Day 41, April 1, 2009, Tuesday


Start: Old Orchard Shelter
End: VA 16, Dickey Gap (Hitched to Marion, VA)
Mileage: 10.2 miles


~No Journaling


April 2, 2009, Wednesday
Flew home to Atlanta via Johnson City, Tenn.

1 comment:

Ann & Howard (Flo's parents) said...

Hi Mike

Good to hear that you are jumping back onto the trail. I think you will be back in your stride before you know it and meeting new hiking companions. I had a good trip down to VA to join Harvey & Co over Easter but my knees are still swollen! We spoke to Harvey yesterday as he was taking a Zero in Waynesboro. Grizzly, Chert and the Brits have moved on together but will be splitting up in Harpers Ferry when the Brits take a few days to visit Washington. Harvey spent his first days alone on the trail last week but I am sure it won't be long before he meets some new characters - everyone is so friendly. Anyhow take it easy this time and hike your own hike. We will be anxiously watching your progress.
Regards
Howard (Jolly Ranchers Dad)