Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Back to the trail, seriously ... Vol. 2

April 23, 2009, Thursday

When I announced in my last blog that I would be returning to the AT last weekend, I didn't take into account the one person whose advice would be most helpful — my doctor. Another round of X-rays last week revealed no damage to the bone in my right leg, but I was advised to wait an additional two to three weeks before continuing my journey. I compromised by waiting 1.5 weeks, which accumulates to just over three weeks off the trail. That's three weeks and the return of my love handles, but I'm returning to the trail with a lighter load to reduce the strain on my legs.

The extra week off was filled with a kick ass Wilco concert in Athens, along with attending a Hawks playoff victory, a groovin concert by my brosef Erik, and drinks with an old high school friend, Idun. Further, I fully utilized my sister Kat's couch on a dozen occasions, including my first American Idol exposures. These kids are not very good.

Anyway, Kat is driving me back to the trail tomorrow. We'll spend the night in Marion, VA, and the following morning she'll drop me off on the side of the road and speed away. I'll be back on the trail with what I hope will be a blooming forest. Due to my three weeks off, I'm no longer assured enough time to finish the remaining 1,650 miles or so. Classes at Saint Louis Univ. start Aug. 24, but I don't know when I need to be on campus for orientation. I also need time to find a place to live. Due to my time constraints, I'll be spending less time in trail towns, so I may not be blogging as much as previously. I'll try to update pictures frequently, and I'll post a video blog a couple times a week while on the trail.

Happy trails buckaroos, Mike (Steamboat)

Song of the day ...
"Walken" by Wilco
Listen!
I'm walking

All by myself

I was talking to myself about you

What am I going to do


I was singing

This song about you

I was thinking about singing

This song for you


The more I think about it

The more I know it's true

The more I think about it

The more I'm sure it's you

Honey I think you're just right

You're just right


I was walking

Like I said by myself

I was talking

To myself about you

Like I always do


The more I think about it

The more I know it's true

The more I think about it

The more I'm sure it's you

Honey, I think you're just right

You're just right

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really happy to hear that you are getting back on the trail. I'll be sure to leave you messages along the way. Hope to see you at some point up the trail buddy. Harley says hi too. Make sure you call the Happy Hiker Hollow in Atkins as they should be holding a trail magic package for you from Rachel (I hope they haven't given it away yet). Even so, you should stay there. It's $40 for the night with a homecooked AYCE dinner and breakfast, shuttle to town, nice bed, everything. Call them from Partnership shelter as they have limited space. Happy hiking!

Ann (Harvey's Mum ) said...

Hi Mike,
We're really glad to see you back on the trail too. Hope those shin splints have mended well. Trust the weather is OK, it's very hot here! Keep drinking the fluids and happy hiking :)
Best Wishes
Ann & Howard