Pages

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Days 42 to 44

Saturday, May 2, 2009
I'm blogging from the public library in Pearisburg, Va. Time is again running short at the library, so I'm not going to be able to get fully caught up on the blog. I'll burn through what I can and update more next week. If there are typos it's due to little time to edit. The shins are feeling better, but a little achy, and my first full week back on the trail went well, despite some wet weather. Wish me well! ~ Steamboat

Day 42, April 25, Saturday

Start: Dickey Gap
End: Partnership Shelter
Mileage: 14.5 miles, 526.7 miles from Springer

I'm back on the trial after more than three weeks resting my shins and expanding my gut and ass at home. My shin feels solid. There is a very slight ache that may be attributed to muscle soreness, not an injury. I won't know until I continue to test it.
The hike today was often pretty, but more often boring. I was disappointed to find the woods had not bloomed as they had in Atlanta. The woods have a slight light green, and small wild flowers are blooming along the trail, but it looks like a few weeks away from a full, vibrant forest. Although the buds have not unfolded, sounds spring from the woods in stereo.
Two things stood out most today. First, I stumbled upon the infamous school bus that is parked in a meadow. The inside was gutted of seats and replaced with a bed, stove and table. It was reminiscent of the bus from "Into the Wild." I'm not sure how long it has been since someone inhabited the bus. I entered the meadow and stopped in my tracks when I saw it. A bus so far off the road is an odd spot, and the bus is featured in the AT documentary, "Trek."
The second moment to remember was hiking along an exposed ridgeline in a lightning storm. It was the first time I had adrenaline run through my veins on this trip. Further, the scramble was accompanied by Wilco on the Ipod. It was most ominous when Jeff Tweedy sings, "Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm." There would be worse bands to listen to while being hit by lightning. I returned to the trail by a car ride by Kat. Molly also joined us. I had to pull her chain a bit to come, but I think she was glad she did after leaving sodas and candy at Dicky Gap. The hikers I met today all seemed to be super psyched about her trail magic. One hiker said he saw Kat give two hikers a ride into town.
Kat hiked two miles with me today on the AT before turning around. I hope I won't be calling her again for a ride home.
It's strange to be around new people. It's a different type of hiker. Many only hike ten to 15 miles a day. They speak of spending half days flying kites or playing wiffleball. Few are on any time restraints and no one seems competitive on being passed. No one has spoken of pack weight, ultra-light hiking or gear. Some are grossly overweight. My previous group often saw this hike as a race. I'm racing against the clock, but I should have enough time. August 15 will be 154 days. There should be no reason why I don't finish in five-months time.
I spend the night tonight at Partnership Shelter. I ordered pizza and Mt. Dew, which I didn't seem to enjoy because I've been home the last three weeks feeding my face whatever I wanted. I didn't walk enough today to build up a big appetite. 12 miles or so are on the plate for tomorrow to the Happy Hiker Hollow, in Atkins, VA.

Day 43, April 26, Sunday

Start: Partnership Shelter
End: Happy Hiker Hollow, Atkins, VA.
Mileage: 12.2 miles, 538.3 miles from Springer

I broke camp late today as a group of hikers lingered cooking breakfast. No one seemed to be in a huge hurry to reach Atkins, VA or other points beyond. Two hikers, Mud Flaps and One Stick, woke at daybreak and hit the trail by 7:30 a.m., but they are early risers and took their time to hike the relatively easy 12.2 miles. I left camp at 9:20 a.m. alone, but due to my two hour lunch, Loon and Growler caught me. The three of us hiked the remaining 4.5 miles to Atkins where we shuttled to Happy Hiker Hollow. Mud Flaps and One Stick were already showered and lounging on the front porch of this old farmhouse when we arrived.
The Hollow is one of the best hostels on the trail, but it can only accommodate six people. The proprietors, Rambunny and Aqua, offer the usual hiker amenities, such as internet and laundry, but the food was amazing. I couldn't eat more unless I busted a gut.
I didn't feel strong today hiking. I'm not used to the heat and I don't have confidence in my shin, which is holding up. My lungs didn't fall behind my legs during my hiatus. I'm impatient for my old self, minus the shin splint. I want 25 mile days, not 14, but I'm not there yet.
I'll continue to pace myself tomorrow with 14 miles planned, which I aim to follow up with 19 miles and 23 miles. I'm building myself from almost scratch. It's a good lesson to learn how fast hard work can vanish. I aim for Pearisburg by Friday, followed by Catawba Tuesday. From Catawba, I should need two to three weeks to reach the Winger's house. I may be into New Jersey by June 5.

Day 44, April 27, Monday

Start: Happy Hiker Hollow, Atkins, VA
End: Campsite .5 miles from Knot Maul Shelter
Mileage: 14.5 miles, 552.8 miles from Springer

Today was a scorcher. The mid-morning humidity was near 80 percent and temps reached the high 80s. This will take some getting accustomed to. When I left the trail April 2 there were flurries the night before at the Grayson Highlands. The heat made me lazy today. The 14+ miles were pretty easy with nice meadows and beautiful views of the rolling hills of Southwest Virginia. Parts of today were as pretty as any other time on the trail.
I hiked at times with Growler, Mud Flaps and One Stick. Bender also popped in and out of the day. Loon was a constant companion until the last three miles. I also met Bow Willow today. I share the campsite with about eight others. They are all young with what seems to be more of a sense of joy than adventure. It's nice to be away from the competition of who can do the most miles, but I too want to get good miles under my belt.

No comments: