Pages

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Stratten, Maine

August 6, 2009
The 2009 AT trek is coming to an end as I have only 10 more hiking days to go until I summit Katahdin on Aug. 15. Dad is going to summit with me, and he is going to have a pretty hard introduction to the trail as Mt. Katahdin is a five-mile, 4,000 ft. climb. Once I reach the infamous sign atop the mountain, I must still turn around and walk the tough five miles down.
I'll be returning to Atlanta on Aug. 16 and departing for Saint Louis on Aug. 19. It's not much time to turn around and move, but it's all I have prior to my Aug. 20 teaching assistant meeting on campus. With flights set, an end time established and an itinerary to follow, there isn't much left to do except hike. I have about 175 miles left to go, with 110 miles being in the last six days. I'm hiking as part of a four person crew, including Highlander, the Kid and Loudspeaker. It may be a busy summit day as at least a half dozen other hikers have expressed an intent to finish the same day. Highlander is bringing speakers for his MP3 players, so it may turn into a party.
Further, I'll leave my SPOT satellite tracker in the tracking mode on Aug. 15, Saturday, as I climb up Katahdin so you can follow me up. The tracker sends a position point every 10 minutes or so, which you can check on Google maps via the link on the right side of this blog that says, "Where am I?" I'll be updating photos and my blog in the days following the trip so you can see my summit day.
Sincerely, Steamboat...

4 comments:

Ann (Harvey's Mum) said...

Well Done Steamboat - Wow!!
You've really got going and are so close to finishing. Hope the weather is alot better than Harvey had, also the Spot keeps working.
We will follow your progress closely.
Congratulations,
Ann (Harvey's Mum )

David Thornblad said...

Congrats Mike. I am watching you summit now on your SPOT. I have been following your blog all summer. You make me want to do the AT sometime.

I am starting my doctorate next week too, wish I would have had your summer experiences going into it.

John Jacobs said...

Mike, yes, "Mike" as you are now off the trail and "Steamboat" is retired (for now?). Congratulations on completing your thru-hike. My son and I have enjoyed following your adventure. Best wishes in the move to St. Louis and school. Keep up the good work!

Big Jake and Little Jake
(placeholder trail names)
GA-ME 2015?

Ann (Harvey's Mum) said...

CONGRATULATIONS STEAMBOAT !!!
Hope your final climb was without wind and rain! You've survived a monumental journey and such an achievement. Well Done.
Now, all you have to do is celebrate and eat 14 ice-creams at the cafe - easy!
Good Luck with your new life in St. Louis, enjoy :)
Ann (Harvey's Mum)