Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Days 100 to 113, Greenwood Lake, NY to October Mtn Lean-to (Mass.)

July 11, Saturday
It has been about three weeks since I last updated the blog. I apologize about the delay. I'm sure you were wondering what your brave adventurer was doing out in the woods. Well, it was a lot of walking in the rain and mud, unsurprisingly. Anyway, time is quickly running out on my hike as school approaches. I continue to shoot for an Aug. 16 summit day, but there are a lot of intangibles to cling you to the edge of your seat wondering if I'll actually finish. Also, I don't have enough time tonight to fully update the blog. I've brought you up to July 5, Day 113. I'll update the rest next week from Hanover, NH. Sincerely, Steamboat...

Day 100, June 22, Monday
Start: Greenwood Lake, NY
End: Greenwood Lake, NY
Mileage: Zero Day, 819.1 miles to Katahdin; 1,359.2 miles from Springer

~No Journaling

Day 101, June 23, Tuesday
Start: Greenwood Lake, NY
End: Greenwood Lake, NY

Mileage: Zero Day, 819.1 miles to Katahdin; 1,359.2 miles from Springer

~No Journaling

Day 102, June 24, Wednesday
Start: Greenwood Lake, NY
End: Wildcat Shelter

Mileage: 4.8 miles, 814.3 miles to Katahdin; 1,364 miles from Springer

I end today with cautious optimism that I can manage my hamstring after 4.8 miles, not including a very tough 0.9 mile blue blaze out of Greenwood Lake.
I could use a good icing, but my only treatment available is compression and Advil with a good deal of stretching. There remains a good deal of discoloration behind my knee with soreness under the butt cheek and to the upper left side of my left leg. Tomorrow morning will be very telling as to how I will proceed.
The trail ahead looks bumpy, but if clear, I may be able to see the NYC skyline. My hope is that after one week of solid 12 to 15 mile days, I may be able to increase my mileage.
The mosquitoes are horrendous. I have no doubt my face and neck will be their supper tonight. The incessant buzz is maddening. Sometimes, not often, I long for the cold days of March where no bugs were to be found.

Day 103, June 25, Thursday
Start: Wildcat Shelter
End: Fingerboard Shelter
Mileage: 14.3 miles, 800 miles to Katahdin; 1,378.3 miles from Springer


~No Journaling

Day 104, June 26, Friday
Start: Fingerboard Shelter
End: Ft. Montgomery, NY (Holiday Inn)

Mileage: 14.2 miles, 785.8 miles to Katahdin; 1,392.5 miles from Springer

~No Journaling

Day 105, June 27, Saturday
Start: Ft. Montgomery, NY
End: Dennytown Rd Campsite
Mileage: 14.5 miles, 771. 3 miles to Katahdin; 1,407 miles from Springer

I've not journaled four of the past five days and I'm sure I'll regret my laziness later when looking back at my journal, but my low morale has kept me from enjoying much.
Every hiker goes through periods of the blues. I have had many days on the trail where I wish I could just pack it up adn go home, but by the time one gets to a good spot to leave the trail, those feelings are usually gone, so you press on. Impulsiveness has no place on the AT. The past four days I've definitely had feelings about going home. I had lost my momentum after returning from my triple zero. My legs hurt, and I was demoralized from my looming time crunch. The rain makes you want to jump off a cliff. I felt better today and I hope I've regained some of my hiker swagger and momentum. I aim for 19.7 miles tomorrow to test the leg. I remain three days behind schedule, which must be made up somewhere. Presumably, I can try to shave a day or two in Conn/Mass. Most importantly, I plan for the future and want to move forward.

Day 106, June 28, Friday
Start: Dennytown Rd Campsite
End: Morgan Stewart Shelter
Mileage: 19.7 miles, 751.6 miles to Katahdin; 1,426.7 miles from Springer

I hiked for the second consecutive day with Black Kat and Lost Acadia, two Canadians who offer great conversation to pass the time. Last night we tented in a beautiful clearing that had a picnic table, a port-a-potty, and treated water. Half way through the night, after a trash can was knocked over, Black Kat yells for me to scan the woods with my head lamp. I spot two eyes reflected in my light. Obviously a raccoon. Lost Acadia is convinced it's a bobcat. It was a comedy of errors as we searched for the intruder to our camp.
Today's hike included some annoying ups/downs, but the weather was dry and mild, great for hiking. I managed a good 19.7 miles and I feel good. I could have gone five more. I was aided by pizza and a two-litre of Pepsi purchased at mile 16. The two hour feast with Black Kat and Lost Acadia made me feel part of the trail again. I hope I've found my momentum.
A new strategy for me includes tenting every night, including at shelters. The privacy is nice, but it keeps the bugs away. Prior to NY, I may have tented only a handful of times. Always by necessity. I find it suites me well.

Day 107, June 29, Monday
Start: Morgan Stewart Shelter
End: Ten Mile River Lean-To
Mileage: 20.7 miles, 731.1 miles to Katahdin; 1,447.2 miles from Springer

I hiked for the third day in a row with Black Kat and Lost Acadia, who I think really saved me from a dark spot on the trail. I was not enjoying myself very much since I returned from my hamstring injury. I had lost my hiking companions of three weeks, Bojangles and Phoenix, and I was feeling very low on energy and motivation. I was contemplating going home.
The 20-mile day today did a lot to convince me I can regain my sense of movement. It's just nice to have others around, even if it includes talk about hockey. They may move ahead of me tomorrow, but I won't be seeing the last of them. It would be great to summit with them.
I entered Connecticut today and I was glad to see the end to the poorly marked, irrationally routed adn hopelessly rocky trails of NY. I'm officially in New England, the farthest north I've ever been. I'm a few miles from the 2/3 point, so a lot of miles remain. August will be upon me before I know it.

Day 108, June 30, Tuesday
Start: Ten Mile River Lean-to
End: Campsite
Mileage: 16.3 miles, 714.8 miles to Katahdin; 1,463.5 miles from Springer

~No Journaling

Day 109, July 1, Wednesday
Start: Campsite
End: Mountainside Cabins
Mileage: 15.7 miles, 699.1 miles to Katahdin; 1,479.2 miles from Springer

~No Journaling

Day 110, July 2, Thursday
Start: Mountainside Cabins
End: Salisbury, Conn.

Mileage: 9.4 miles, 689.7 miles to Katahdin; 1,488.6 miles from Springer

~No Journaling

Day 111, July 3, Friday
Start: Salisbury, Conn.
End: US 7, Sheffield, Mass.

Mileage: 22.1 miles, 667.6 miles to Katahdin; 1,510.7 miles from Springer

I've neglected journaling again for the past three days. I've been pretty tired as I move through Conn. The terrain has steepened, but luckily the trails are smooth, although with continuous rain, the walking is a muddy mess.
I seem to have latched onto the Canadians and I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome. I don't anticipate hiking all the way to Katahdin with them, but I enjoy their company. I think they enjoy mine.
We slack packed today from US 7 in Mass. South back to Salisbury, Conn. with the help of Venessa, who's house we are staying in tonight. I've effectively knocked another state off my list, but the trail looks tougher ahead. There won't be any easy days to Maine. I must be fully committed to solid miles to ensure I finish.
With more rain today, I have endured more than 30 straight days with some sort of precipitation. The trails are a mess. We walked shin deep through water today. I suppose this trip isn't supposed to be easy.

Day 112, July 4, Saturday
Start: US 7, Sheffield, Mass
End: Shaker Campsite

Mileage: 17.6 miles, 650 miles to Katahdin; 1,528.3 miles from Springer

Next summer, as I presumably sit lakeside drinking cold beer, I'll still look back on today as the best Fourth of July of my life. I've renewed my love for the Appalachian Trail the past few days in Mass. When not a muddy mess, the trail is beautiful in New England with many views, even trail absent of rocks, and tall, stately pines that sweeten the smell of the woods.
Despite the improved conditions, and a full day of dry weather, the Shaker Campsite tonight is hell. It's mosquito city. I ate dinner with my rain jacket on and then jumped in my tent to safety. I'm sharing a tent pad with the Canadians. Black Kat had a great surprise tonight. He packed out a Bud to share to celebrate the Fourth.
650 miles left! That's six weeks or so. I feel good and I'm feeling confident I can finish by Aug 15. Acadia mentioned a possible Aug. 10 finish. All I know is that I'll blink and I'll be sitting in a classroom thinking this trip was a dream, often a nightmare.

Day 113 July 5, Sunday
Start: Shaker Campsite
End: October Mtn. Lean-to

Mileage: 18.7 miles, 631.3 miles to Katahdin; 1,547 miles from Springer

~No Journaling

No comments: