Pages

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Days 7 to 9

Sunday, March 1, 2009 - Franklin, NC.
I'm blogging Sunday night from the toasty office of the Budget Inn in Franklin, NC. I've fixed the SPOT tracking link, so the next 7 days of progress should begin shortly. The SPOT will only show where I've been for the last 7 days, so Day 1 should be tomorrow. Also, I've posted 2 videos to the blog this week. I'll try to add one every 3 days or so. I have not yet journaled tonight, so the three days of entries I'm listing are the three days leading up to Franklin, but I hiked 15.8 miles today through some pretty tough weather and terrain. I may take a Zero day tomorrow due to some bad weather rolling through the area, but you'll just have to stay tuned to find out. Also, I found out today I won a Colorado Press Association Award for best Education Story. It's nice to get good nice while hiking in the cold. Take care and happy trails Buckaroos. - "Steamboat" - Mike Mc.

Day 7, Feb. 26, Thursday

Start: Trey Mountain Shelter
Stop: Dicks Creek Gap, Hiawasse, GA
Mileage: 11 miles
Miles from Springer Mtn: 67.5

Today was 11 miles through the clouds to Hiawassee, Ga., which I assume was once a forgotten hamlet that has turned into a a second-home lake resort area. It also caters toward hikers. I awoke at the Trey Mountain Shelter to a light rain and heavy mist. The mist felt cool as I walked down Trey Mtn. It clinged to my bandanna and shirt like it was the condensation of the mountain as it exhaled on me in the cool temps. Harvey, Wes and I trekked in more silence today up one big climb, Powell Mountain, and many ups and downs. Along the way we passed a sign for "Swag of the Blue Mountains," which we could not figure why it was named in such a way. Wes is more talkative than Harvey while hiking and we spent most of the day with Harvey taking the lead, me in the middle, and Wes trailing last. Wes had been doing big miles, but it caught up to him and he's battling ankle issues on the ups and knee issues on the downs.
We descended to Dicks Creek Gap at about 2:15 pm., which was a good 5.5 hour day. We called Gary at the Blueberry Patch Hostel and he shuttled us to his home within 15 minutes. Dicks Creek is also near Lake Burton and the Rabun County line. A night at the lake house would have been nice.
The Blueberry Patch is a special place on the AT. It is run as a donation only hostel with full amenities, including laundry service, shower and breakfast. Also, a fridge full of Coca-Cola. We borrowed Gary's Jeep and wen to town to fatten up on a China Buffet, blog at the library and grocery shop. I bought way too much food, but I'll be quick to eat it. I did not enjoy the food as much as I had hoped at the buffet. The thought of a buffet propelled me down the mountain today. I guess I wasn't in the woods long enough. However, the shower was Nirvana. Body Powders, soaps, hot water, big cushy towels-this truly made me fell civilized again. I'm not sure how far I'll push tomorrow. Rain is expected. Also, I'm beginning to look like Lenin, with a shaved head.

Day 8, Feb. 27, Friday

Start: Hiawassee, Ga., The Blueberry Patch
End: Muskrat Creek Shelter
Mileage: 11.8 miles
Miles from Springer: 79.3 miles

I left Georgia, my home state, today and crossed into North Carolina at mile 76.4. A simple sign was nailed to a tree with NC/GA carved shallow into the wood. It seemed to be a meek welcome to the biggest milestone so far on the AT for a NOBO (Northbounder), crossing the first state line.
Today began with a stack of pancakes, sausage, cheese biscuits, eggs, coffee and OJ, courtesy of Gary and his wife at the Blueberry Patch. With a full stomach, Wes, Harvey and I, along with fellow hostel mates Jeff and Dan, hit the trail just before 10 am. Within minutes, the sky began to let loose a storm upon us. I actually enjoyed it. With mild temps, the rain was soothing and cool. Once it lifted, the trail was a bright white cloud. Visibility was about 30 yards, but we often descended into clean, crisp air that cut the fog. The dark charcoal mud made my feet slide a few inches with each step. The trail today was mostly gentle PUDS (Pointless ups and downs) with a couple steep inclines once in North Carolina. I enjoyed how the trees created tunnels through the mist. It reminded me of Sleepy Hollow.
The shelter tonight is small. It's me, Harvey, Wes and "Grumpy," a former Army guy who is going to law school in the fall. Dan and Jeff are tenting. The mice are already running the roof. The sound of the feet makes my stomach turn. God knows what they do when I'm sleeping. They are my least liked aspect of the trail. I seemed to be the entertainment for the night. To hang my food bag from bears I had a difficult time getting a full Nalgene bottle over a Y shaped branch. I hit it on the third try. The second try I hit the tree, which has earned me the nickname "wide right." Harvey had a difficult time too, but mine seemed to be more comical. I'm not at least 2 days from Franklin, NC. I'm not sure if I'll stay a night there. Wes and Harvey want to move on. Bad weather awaits us in the coming days. My knee is better, but my right arch is a pain. If it's not one thing it's another.

Day 9, Feb. 28, Saturday

Start: Muskrat Creek Shelter
End: Carter Gap Shelter
Mileage: 12.5 miles
Miles from Springer: 91.8 miles

It's another cold night on the trail. Temps are pushing freezing as a steady rain drums the aluminum roof of the shelter. I went to bed last night to rain. Awoke to rain, hiked in the rain and now I end my day with another rain shower. Today was not a good day on the trail despite moments of beauty. The creeks and water runoffs are swollen with rain water, which makes for a nice picture against a backdrop of moss covered rocks, misty ridge lines and other fallen leaves. What made the day sub-par, other than the rain, was cutting my index finger with my Leatherman knife while slicing a sausage at lunch. The wound is pretty bad and I may need stitches when I reach Franklin tomorrow. Wes stopped the bleeding with gauze and duck tape, and Grumpy cleaned and dressed my wound when we made camp. I hiked today alone, except for a short period prior to lunch with Wes. The three of us know where to stop for lunch and camp, so we hike at our own paces during the day. Harvey is always first to camp.
The three of us may go our separate ways tomorrow as I look to overnight in Franklin, Wes goes off the trail to see nearby friends, and Harvey marches on to the Smokies. I don't want a zero day on Monday, but I may not hike far from the trail head. Dan also shares the shelter with us and Grumpy. Tatonka tented tonight not far away. Jeff pushed on to Franklin it seems.
Last night was my first solid sleep of the trip. It's difficult to sleep well when lights out is at 7 pm. I'm writing by the light of my headlamp, but the cold and exhaustion are rushing me to sleep. It's 15.8 miles to Franklin tomorrow. I better get my rest.

3 comments:

Kat Mc said...

Hope the weather gets better for you brother. Miss you, love you.
-Sissy

Kat Mc said...

P.S. Congrats on the 100 miles :) Keep it up!

Unknown said...

if you're looking for places to eat in Franklin...frog and owl downtown, ms. lois' (good breakfast homemade food), or the gazebo, the pizza peddler is okay (very smokey) ... brandi's extended family lives in franklin, so I'm somewhat familiar...we go about twice a year. enjoying your updates!