Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Days 6 to 1

My Spot tracking system is not properly working, but it will soon be up and running. I'm in the public library at Hiawassee, GA updating my blog. I'm copying these journal entries straight from my trail journal. Read from the bottom up. I'm often too cold or too tired at night to write very eloquently, but these are some of the experiences I've had so far. Thanks to all my family and friends who have sent me notes while I'm on the trail. I've gone more than 60 miles so far, and I'm dog tired. - Mike Mc. ("Steamboat") Day 7, February 26, 2009

Day 6, February 25, Wednesday

Start: Low Gap Shelter
End: Trey Mountain Shelter
Mileage: 15 miles
56.5 miles from Springer Mountain.

Today was my first 15-mile day and my knee is feeling better. I'm without a camera, except my phone, so that has me down, but I'm still 2,121.8 miles from the end at Katahdin. THis long distance will be conquered. I summited three mountains today: Blue Mtn., Rocky Mtn., and Tray Mtn. After 14 miles, the last one mile up Tray was killer. It's only 7:15 pm and I am beat. TOmorrow I should reach Hiawassee, Ga, where I plan to stay at the Blueberrry Patch Hostel run by Christian ministries.
I continued to hike with Harvey today. We mostly hiked in the silence of the trees, punctuated by the movement of our clothes, the huffing of our breath and the pounding of our feet against the cold, frozen ground. We woke up, ate breakfast, broke camp and hiked. It's a pattern that is strangely appealing. You have a purpose to go from point A to B, survival. We pushed 15 miles today to avoid approaching rains. With daytime temps near 50, rain could easilty lead to hypothermia. If rain persists in Hiawassee on Friday, I may stay to rest my knee. Again, I'm in no hurry. My nevers about Grad school do occupy much of my daily hiking. I should know soon about Texas. Also, reading over my previous entries I am disapointed in the quality of writing. I'm far too tired at night to put much thought into this journal. I may not the writer I thought I was. What am I really good at? I'm OK at hiking, and that is the chore ahead of me, so tomorrow continues this adventure, despite what I write about it. Instead I'll focus on what I feel about the trek, not what I can put on paper.

Day5, February 24, Tuesday

Start: Walasi-yi Outdoor Recreation Center
End: Low Gap Shelter
Mileage: 10.8 miles

It's beginning to become difficult to remember the little details of life as I sit here before a raging fire at the low gap shelter. I hiked about 10.8 miles today on my new magic legs, for I now have 2 poles. They were fixed at the Walasi-yi last night. Today my pack was shook down by Winton, the owner. I cut my bag weight down to about 37 pounds before food. My camera was sent home along with my water filter. I'm now using drops to purify my water. I'll buy a tiny digital camera in Hiawassee, my next stop in 2.5 days.
Havey left before me today at 10:15 am as I was getting the shake down. I left an hour later and caught him on the trail lunching at 1 p.m. or so. We hiked until 4:45 pm until we reached low gap shelter, which is clean, has a close water source and a fire pit. Harvey and I have about the same pace, but I'm a tad bit slower due to my knee. I'm not sure how long we continue on same pace. I enjoy having the company and someone to push me. I'm in no hurry to finish and we all have our own hike to day.
The lone wolf sleeps with us tonight. He's a trip, but a snorer. I have yet to get a good night's sleep.

Day 4, February 23, Monday

Start: Woody Gap Campground
End: Walasi-yi at Neels Gap
Mileage: 10.6 miles

Last night was too cold to journal. The wind and single digit temps made for a quick campsite and bedtime. Today I awoke to 14 degree weather and heavy winds. I had to set up camp with Harvey in a little clearing just off the road at Woody Gap. We hit the trail this AM at about 9 and reached the Walasi-yi Hostel at 3:30 pm. Today was another batch of pointless ups and downs (PUDs), but we were afforded two beautiful views. The first was Big Cedar Mountain and the second was Blood Mountain, which is the highest peak on the GA Appalachian Trail. This was quite the milestone and Havey and I celebrated with a Jolley Rancher. I don't know how far he wants to travel with me, but he seems to wat up for me as I struggle with my knee. This injury, my PT Band (?), is due to over use. I hope it will not take me off the trail for long. I hope for an easy day tomorrow to test some streches Harvey showed me. The pain dulls for hours at a time before emerging in sudden blasts of pain on the upper, outside parts of the knee. Also, parts of my quad are numb. This bothers me.
The Walasi-yi is a pretty cool place. Just off the road at US 19 and 129, the shop is the first taste of civilzation in 3 days. I drank a grape soda and 2 oatmeal raising snacks. The staff plans to shake my pack down tomorrow, and I may also buy warmer clothes. I may need a fleece.
I am staying ath the Walasi-yi's hostel, which is a total trip. The caretaker is named Pirate. He's a portly, beareded, hippie, biker dude who made us dinner. Nine of us are sharing the bunkhouse and dinner was provided. A hiker named Gentle Ben has been here for a few weeks resting. He's very "gentle" and would not accept the free PBR offered to us by AT Cool Breeze. Pirate cooked us Beans with cornberad. I also had a hot shower and laundry. I talked with Kat and Jen.

Day 3, February 22, Sunday

Start: Hawk Mountain Shelter
End: Woody Gap Campsite
Mileage: 12.3 miles

No journaling tonight. Cold. Maybe single digits. Toes even cold with 2 layers of socks. Slept poorly.

Day 2, February 21, Saturday

Start: Len Foote Hikers Inn
End: Hawk Mountain Shelter
Mileage: 11.6 miles

My first night in a shelter makes me think twice about sharing this experience with others. I hope to pass one hiker who feels the need to fart every few minutes and then giggle about it. (This is a guy we call Booger, who later dropped from the trail) Everyone here seems to give a polite laugh, but they seem clearly annoyed. There are about 9 of us sharing the shelter tonight.A few more are scattered in hammocks. The Hawk Mountain Shelter is utilitarian, rustic and will serve me just fine. I'm with four others on the main sleeping platform.
The weather is expected to turn unseasonably cold through tomorrow with some snow expected today. Today was very pleasant with most of my hike in the 50s. I met a group of day hikers on the top of Springer from the North Georgia College in Dahlonaga. They were led by Jeff, a 1993 Thru-hiker who I hiked with for more than 2 miles today. He was a SOBO (Southbounder) and was a great source of advice. I also met a woman hiking with her kids and grandkids who said a prayer for me after taking a picture with me and her grandkids. This celebrity is strange> I got a fist bump from a day-hiker and other congrats on top of Springer.
Despite the lakc of adaquet bunk partners my spirits are good, but my body is not. I'm having severe shoulder pains due to my poorly fitted bag. My left arch also is a problem, but my knees are good. My wind is finding me.
I spoke to Jen tonight and I miss her. I do not show her enough. The light is fading me and the muscle relaxers are kicking in, so sleep is near. Tommorrow I'm aiming for Gooch Mtn Shelter 7.4 miles away. I may go further to find new company.

Day 1, February 20, Friday

Start: Amicolola Falls Visitors Center
End: Len Foote Hikers Inn
Not yet on the AT.

Day one is in the books as I'm restin gmy dog-tired knees and feet at the Len Foote Hikers Inn. I was the 24th Hiker who had registered at the vistors center at Amicololaa, but I'm the first to stay at the Hikers Inn this season. This made me a bit of dinner celebrity, which I was not up for due to the poor physical shape I'm in, which left me mentally crippled as the fellow guests peppered me with the same questions I've been answering since August. "How far are you going?" "You going alone?" "Aren't you scared?" And always, ""Are you bringing a gun?"
Kat accompanied me on this first day, which isn't even on the Appalachian Trail yet. We arrived at 4:20 or so and later sat down to a family style dinner of pot roast, sweet corn, wheat rolls, salad, potatoes, and peach cobbler. I of course ate Kat's cobbler.
One of my fears I had concerning my trip was my pack weight. More weight adn my chances of exhaustion and injury increases. I checked in at the vistor's center with 54 pounds (NOTE: I'm now down to 37 lbs) My ideal weight was under 40, but I anticipated up to 45. I shook my bag down by at least five to six pounds at the Inn tonight. Only one man had a heavier bag than I did departing Amicolola, and his was in the 60s. The shakedown took my long lens and case, umbrella, spice kit, a small drinking cup mad eof a rubbery substance similar to a children's toy, adn my odds and ends, including my chargers for my Xmp3 player and camera. I also question the fit of my bag, which I anticiapte will cause me mcuh grief in teh coming weeks.
First days are always tough, but having Kat keeps things light and loneliness at bay. Tomorrow I'm left to myself. God only knows what lays ahead on this adventure.

1 comment:

Kat Mc said...

Hang in there, Mikey. I miss you!