Pages

Friday, November 21, 2008

Making Progress

With less than three months left until I hit the trail, I'm slowly making progress toward finishing Graduate School applications, saving money for my hike and wrapping up the sale of most of my possessions.
In the last seven days I have sold half of my living room furniture, taken the GRE, received 2/3 of my graduate school recommendations, sold my computer, bought a computer, kicked out a roommate, and found a new roommate. Who's ready for a drink??
Anyway, I'm still set on a Feb. 20 departure from Springer Mtn., GA, for my Appalachian Trail hike.
If you are one of the few people left in the country with deep pockets, check out my recently created gift registry regarding my hike.
http://www.rei.com/GiftRegistryDetails/GR1818505?cm_mmc=gift_reg-_-Outdoor_Adventure-_-announce-_-21Nov2008

I have not been the only one busy lately it seems. My good Steamboat-friend Amanda eloped last week and Jen moved to Boulder. Throw in some juicy local gossip and a nutty election, and November has the makings of a pretty noteworthy month.

I've also been thinking of the election lately and how important it must feel for African Americans in our country. I don't think Obama was elected on the color of his skin. Being black only made it harder. It was only about 15 years ago that the last Black confederate war widow died in Steamboat Springs (That's right, black people actually live in Colorado). I think that it's fitting that the song of the day (month) should be Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come." An additional debate can be whether his version is better than Marvin Gaye's or Aretha Franklin's.

I was born by the river in a little tent
Oh and just like the river I've been running ever since
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

It's been too hard living but I'm afraid to die
Cause I don't know what's up there beyond the sky
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

I go to the movie and I go downtown
Somebody keep telling me don't hang around
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

Then I go to my brother
And I say brother help me please
But he winds up knocking me
Back down on my knees

Ohhhhhhhhh.....

There been times that I thought I couldn't last for long
But now I think I'm able to carry on
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

No comments: